Sunday, February 19, 2023

Eight values of free expression - Blog post

 Eight Values of Free Expression


When we went over free expression in class I found this subject most interesting. I believe freedom of expression goes along with our most simple human rights. We have learned all about freedom of speech/expression through learning about the first amendment. There have been a lot of controversy when It comes to the topic of freedom of expression because not everyone's beliefs are the same on the topic. 

As I read through the eight theories/value of free expression I resonated most with what is known as self-fulfillment. Self-fulfillment is a type of free speech that enables individuals to express themselves, create and identify, as there true self. As I was reading this value I realized that I can relate to this value within myself. Self-fulfillment is different for every individual. Self-fulfillment means to be satisfied with yourself not only physically, but mentally and emotionally as well, which are just as important as being physically pleased with oneself. 

This aspect is very important to free expression because free expression has to do with individual beliefs, but also how we express those beliefs. Self-fulfillment means something different to every single person that embraces this topic. This right gives people the basic human right to be who they're and/or who they want to be. If someone is struggling with their identity this right gives them the chance to express themselves with however they deem fit.

This value is as important to free expression as it is to me. I have known many people throughout my life that were afraid to express themselves because they weren't sure if it would be "socially acceptable". They didn't realize that it was within their own rights to express themselves however they like free of the consequences that would come without this right. People want to feel like they can be themselves while also feeling like they belong. In todays world that feeling is a very hard one to grasp. As much as we try and implement the value of self-fulfillment, unless people choose to embrace it... it will never be fully in action. 

Out of all the eight values that I read up on I have came to the conclusion that self-fulfillment and promote tolerance were the most used/prevalent in todays world. Promote tolerance is when you promote the idea of free speech/expression, it is commonly used in all forms of media/news networks. This is commonly recognized because the media like to present us with ideas such as society should tolerate anything and everything. Therefore the term promotion of tolerance comes to mind. 

All in all, the eight values of free expression serve as very important values to our basic human rights. I believe everyone should learn the eight values of freedom expression and read up on them. Reading these values helped me get a better understanding of free expression within society as a whole. I also believe many people go their lives without knowing these I believe it should be required in lower levels schooling to teach.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog Post

  My Relationship with Technology My relationship with technology has always been rocky. As we all have seen and know... technology  while i...